Declaration of Consent for online data submission
Cambridge University Press and Cambridge English Language Assessment, two non-teaching departments of the University of Cambridge are developing a resource for linguistic research into all aspects of academic English usage. We are collecting samples of written and spoken English (‘Data’) from sixth form students, as well as lecturers and students at universities, which will be used to inform the development of teaching materials aimed at users of academic English, and to improve testing and assessment tools.
- The Data will be stored and analysed in compliance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998.
- Your personal information will be used to validate and process the data you provide. We will not share your name or contact information with any other party. We will not contact you for any marketing purposes.
- We may share some Data you provide, such as your age and first language, with third parties for research purposes but we will always ensure that such information has been anonymised as much as possible.
- All citations (spoken and written) from the Data used in published works or presentations shall be anonymised so that all references to people, places and institutions are unidentifiable.
Declaration: I grant to Cambridge University Press and Cambridge English Language Assessment on behalf of the Chancellor, Masters, and Scholars of the University of Cambridge the non-exclusive right, licence and permission to collect and store my writing and/or speech (‘Data’).
I understand that the collected Data and any resulting (transcribed) recordings will be entered into computerised corpora of English text, and I agree to the Data and resulting recordings/transcriptions being used for research and teaching purposes by English language specialists, in academic publications and presentations and for the production of study, teaching and assessment materials.
I further understand that the Data, and said recordings/transcriptions or extracts therefrom may be used or licensed by Cambridge University Press and Cambridge English Language Assessment for further research and development purposes and used in publications in recorded, re-recorded or written form, and I give my full consent to this use.
I further declare that:
- The Data I am submitting is original to me, contains nothing libellous or unlawful and contains nothing that is in any way an infringement of any existing copyright or licence, or duty of confidentiality;
- I am 18 years of age or older; (for legal minors the consent of a parent/guardian is required and this will be requested via email);
- All information I provide will be full and correct; and
- I give this consent freely.